[P1] iPod questions

Rick Banuelos teasethedog at mac.com
Wed Jan 29 08:07:42 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 07:35  AM, Brian Fish wrote:

> 1. Does anyone know if the new touch-sensitive scroll wheel works if
> you
> have gloves on?  I have a touch sensitive lamp at home that does not
> respond
> if you are wearing gloves.  I want to use the iPod in my car, but
> can't live
> without my driving gloves.  Having to take a glove off to scroll
> throught
> the songs would be a pain, to say the least.  On that note...

The solid-state scroll wheel behaves much the same way as the trackpad
on your iBook. AFAIK, the minute electrical signal shared between your
finger and the scroll wheel/trackpad's surface is broken when you have
gloves on. HOWEVER, if you know what you want to listen to, the
handheld remote will be perfect for you. Build a playlist of your
favorite stuff, get it playing before you begin to drive, and then
navigate with the remote.

> 2. Has anyone had experience with the TransPod auto adapter?
> http://everythingipod.com/suggest.tpl?command=search&db=dbs/
> products.db&cart
> =10438544671460736&eqPRONAMEdatarq=TransPod%20All-In-
> One%20Car%20Solution%20
> for%20iPod&searchSKU=w001-2002&max=1&eqAVAILdatarq=YES&max=1
>
> It's advertized as the all-in-one solution, which it certainly seems
> to be.
> It holds the iPod, charges the iPod, and transmits the signal to an FM
> frequency all in on gadget.  Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for
> for my
> car...but is it?  Does anyone know how good the FM signal strength is
> on
> this particular product?

The TransPod, like the iRock and others, is a mediocre solution for car
listening when you have no tape player or tape adapter. I only say
mediocre because sometimes your signal may be mixed or lost with other
stations if your airwaves are busy. Some early adapters even lost
signal when going around corners. YMMV.

>   Also, will my iPod fit in the TransPod if I have a
> fitted silicon case like the iSkin or iGlove on the iPod?

It should fit just fine. The iSkin is one of the more unobtrusive
covers for the iPod, but if you're going to use the TransPod, be sure
not to get a skin with a belt clip.

Best of luck (and prepare to fall in love with your iPod!)

Rick Banuelos

teasethedog at mac.com