[P1] hot spots in the U.S.

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 29 17:32:37 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 06:52  PM, William L Carr wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 11:39  PM, Jack Rodgers wrote:
>
>>> You could think of this as being no more illegal than parking in a
>>> Reserved for Customers parking lot downtown.   And less likely to be
>>> caught.
>>
>> What are your credentials for making such a statement?
>
> Sigh.   :>(     What credentials do I need, Jack?   How about a
> fanatical adherence to the Bill Of Rights?    I've got my Voter
> Registration card here, want me to scan it in and email it to you?
> (Oh, that's right, the State of Florida doesn't respect Registration
> cards...(just a joke..:>)   ))

OK so your statements here show that your credentials are mainly your
own desires.

> While software is always changing, right now it appears that merely
> logging on a WiFi Open connection doesn't harvest ID off your laptop.
> That's according to the author of MacStumbler.

I remember asking when Java first appeared what was to protect my drive
against someone coming in over the Internet. The responses I got where
right out of Sun's advertisements--never happen! Well, what does
history tell us? Criminey, read the code in any web page these days...

By the way, to find out what does happen, you would have to capture all
data transferred in both directions over the wifi and then interpret
it. You would also need to know what encryption would be performed by
the chips, etc.

By the way, were you diligent enough to inquire as to whether or not
the info you received from the author was based on rigorous testing
that had been repeated by several individuals or was it just an
assumption. What did you require in the answer before you accepted it
as valid.

> If the first precedent says that an open network is like CB radio,
> then everything is cool.   If some paranoid IT guy claims borrowing
> bandwidth is tantamount to Wire Fraud, then there goes another civil
> liberty... and it's often the Rights you didn't realize you had that
> you'll miss when they start taking them away.   The Ninth Amendment
> notwithstanding.

In all of the years I have listened to people talking about rights,
etc, the most obvious discovery I made was that very few of them had
any constitutional or legal training and they were confusing what they
wanted with legal rights. That's not saying that what they wanted was
necessarily wrong but that their statements were self-satisfying.

I'll bet you lock your doors and if people decided to begin camping in
your yard or lying across the hood of your car or if a stranger picked
up your cell phone and began to make a call...  :)

---
Lobate Black Scale -- A Photo Essay By Jack Rodgers
http://www.jackrodgers.com