iBook Video Streaming

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Tue Jul 1 12:42:04 PDT 2003

I can't remember who posted the question a couple of weeks ago
concerning streaming video using an iBook. At the time, I was also
interested in doing just that and anticipated eagerly the response. The
response, however, was largely negative--it would take at least a G4,
much RAM and so on. Yesterday I did it. With an iBook.

Apple has a free app called Quicktime Broadcaster that has about six or
8 codecs built in to stream both audio and video. Their own readme says
that a G4 is preferred, but any PowerPC would work. I loaded the
software on my iBook and with a wireless connection (Airport, not even
Extreme) fed the stream to a server (within our building) on which is
running QuickTime Streaming Server (also free). The machine happens to
be a Linux box that doesn't have much load right now. So far so good.

Next, I took the iBook home and connected the camera to it and fed the
stream through my home wireless to cable modem to the Quicktime
Streaming Server. The results weren't as good as at work, but still the
video showed. Initially, the audio stuttered (a lot), but I cranked it
down to 8,000 KHz mono and it worked. I later found out that if I had
clocked the video down to 15fps instead of 30fps, then I could have
cranked the audio quality up with little noticeable degradation of the
video.

In short, and to answer the questioner of a few weeks ago: Yes, it can
be done--and with an iBook. Quite simply and quite elegantly (the
Macintosh way).

By the way, if you want to see the results (not streaming from an
iBook, but my office G4 on a T3 connection), here's the URL:
<rtsp://cheetah.jmc.ksu.edu/techtv.sdp>. If you connect, you will be
watching TechTV with the camera looking at the TV screen. The audio is
from the built-in mic. This stream uses the Sorenson codec and Qualcom
audio because I wanted it to be able to be seen with QuickTime 5
Player. The cpu usage is a lot less with the default MPEG-4 codec, not
to mention that the video and the audio are better. This is just an
experiment because I have plans in a couple of weeks for a broadcast of
a live event and wanted to see how to do it. This experiment will
probably be turned off in a couple of hours.

Dr. Charles Pearce, Associate Director,
A. Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications
and Advertising Sequence Head
105 Kedzie Hall
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506-1501