[P1] Ttly OT: Fiji exercises internet censorship !!!

Pat D. Stephens patdart at cox-internet.com
Tue Jul 1 22:09:54 PDT 2003

Chas,

Your quote reminds me of an experience I had on the QE2 during a
Pacific adventure a couple of years ago.  They had a PC room for us to
use and I told the monitor that I was a Mac user, not a PC person and
asked permission to check my email.  He agreed and since he taught
classes told me to come at will and if a machine was available, for me
to just sit down and use it.  One day, I strolled in and he had about
15 machines,but about 10 people that he was teaching...and came over
and apologized about 5 of them being 'messed up' and he was awaiting
the ship's engineer to come and fix them.  Seems that during the night
some kids had come in and put them into and endless loop.  I sat there,
staring at one while it did it's thing...then, I cut the power button
and waited then rebooted it.  Lo, and behold, it was fixed!  The fellow
(former professor of computer science at an Eastern U) came by just
then and asked me what I'd done, and I told him quite honestly that I
was a Mac person and might have ruined it.  He laughed and asked me to
'fix' the others the same way.  He seemed shocked (and I never knew if
it was my lack of respect for the Windows machines, or my gall) but I
'fixed' all of them and did my email and left, very quietly.

Pat