[P1] Airport Base Station trouble

david davidwb at spymac.com
Wed Jul 2 06:18:03 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 05:23  AM, Michael Adams wrote:

> I've just bought an original AirPort base station (graphite) and have
> it sharing my Internet connection (through the modem) with my win98 PC
> over ethernet and iBook over WiFi. Problem is, every so often the base
> station crashes. It's happened three times today already and is
> starting to get annoying!
>
> Usually when it crashes it stops responding to any requests... if I
> try pinging it, nothing happens. If I open up the AirPort Admin
> Utility it doesn't find the base station either. And of course all
> attempts to load web pages fail.
>
> To fix it I just unplug it and then plug it back in after half a
> minute of so. I tried reloading the firmware and if anything it's
> crashing more frequently now! Also, I got the unit from the US, and I
> live in New Zealand, so I had to get a different power adapter. I got
> one that matched the specs on the US adapter... even though they are
> the same, could this still cause a problem?

I don't have the serial number range to hand - its at the office - but
there is a known problem with a batch of base stations. These base
stations have an inadequate capacitor which begins to die due to
heat/age. The affected base stations either begin frequent crashes or
simply die. Apple extended the warranty of these units and I think the
extended warranty is still in effect. Also, you can find instructions
online for doing the repair yourself. I've done several of them - it is
pretty easy. This is probably your problem.

Good qualities are easier to destroy than bad ones, and therefore
uniformity is most easily achieved by lowering all standards.
  ~~ Bertrand Russell

David