[P1] Ttly OT: Fiji exercises internet censorship !!!

david davidwb at spymac.com
Wed Jul 2 11:07:34 PDT 2003

On 7/2/03 12:11 PM, "Jack Rodgers" <jackrodgers at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 09:24  AM, david wrote:
>
>> Sheesh - the first thing any decent tech does is turn off the machine
>> to see if rebooting fixes the problem.
>
> The absolute LAST thing I would do would be to do a forced reboot since
> this will lose data and may damage files or hard drives.
>
> I would unplug the keyboard and mouse, USB, and plug them back in. Also
> any other USB device I would unplug...
>
> I would then drag the cursor, if it is moving, over to the dock to see
> if I can switch applications.
>
> Then I would try the Command+Option+esc to force quit the frozen
> application.
>
> Then I might try a few other things before doing a hard shutdown.
>
> I would only pull the plug as the absolute last resort and hope that
> the doctor shows me the same respect...

Okay Jack - met me rephrase myself since you have a flair for assuming that
every poster knows much less than you and is probably only as intelligent as
a flatworm.

The first thing I'd try is shutting the machine down - obviously (for me but
not for you I guess) that would be a normal shutdown via the
finder/explorer. Of course if this didn't work I'd move on to other steps to
attempt shutting down before hitting the power switch.

If the machine is unresponsive and I've made certain the problem isn't an
unresponsive mouse and/or keyboard - then I'd hit the power switch.

Of course, for anyone but you I wouldn't need to spell it out like this.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com