[P1] Ttly OT: Fiji exercises internet censorship !!!

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 3 06:32:31 PDT 2003

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 01:29  AM, Brian Olesky wrote:

> And while I'm on the subject, are you sure you want to be picky about
> someone saying they graduated from a school, and then refer to anything
> written by a computer company as "literature?"

Dictionary.com's 5th definition of literature: Printed material

I suppose a person who says they graduated from Princeton might
consider that as being picky until they realize than anyone reasonably
educated in English would know that they should have said they were
'graduated from Princeton'.

I cringe when I hear someone say they graduated from a school or refer
to two objects as each rather than both. And then, after doing that, I
make my own grammatical errors and misspellings. However, checking the
dictionary shows that the usage is becoming more popular and perhaps in
200 years English teachers will adjust.

However, seeing that 60% of high school graduates barely pass English
and 30% of freshmen college students read at a 9th grade level, I
should probably adjust my thinking in this matter...  :) [88% of all
statistics are made up.]

---
The 2003 campaign begins...
<http://www.JackRodgers.com>