[P1] Ttly OT: Fiji exercises internet censorship !!!

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Thu Jul 3 07:29:42 PDT 2003

On 2003-07-03 00:57, Jack Rodgers wrote:

> Shutting down or pulling the plug may leave the read write head in a bad place
> instead of parking it safely and lead to drive damage.

Any modern drive parks the heads automatically when the power is cut.

> I would assume but not know for sure that rebooting leaves the drive spinning
> and the head not dragging on the disk.

Reboot does leave the drive spinning, yes. However, the heads do not touch
the medium on a hard drive, so as far as the heads "dragging on the disk",
there is no concern that that might happen (unless you have a hardware
failure).

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.
 - Voltaire