[P1] new ibooks... any better re warping & screen marks??

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Mon Jul 7 02:48:33 PDT 2003

On 2003-07-07 08:27, e.mkeene wrote:

> It's been a while since I used OS 9 and I don't remember RAM, you don't need
> it any more.

Well, that's stretching things a bit... If anything, RAM is more needed than
ever. The more the merrier!

> VM reserves its allocation on the HD and does not permit it to
> be used for data storage only for cache storage. In other words, if you
> have 641 MB of VM, 641 MB of HD space is permanently reserved for VM's
> use and is unavailable to you. If your HD says there is 1 GB of storage
> left, you actually have 383 MB os HD space useable.

That's not true. The OS does not report HD space used by VM as free space.
So, in your example, if the Finder reports that there is 1 GB free, there is
actually 1 GB usable. Another 641 MB can be freed up by switching VM off.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Rehab is for quitters!