[P1] wailing feedback

Michael Adams bulk at michaeladams.org
Mon Jul 7 06:16:13 PDT 2003

Ron Reames wrote:

> On Sunday, July 6, 2003, at 10:32  PM, Michael Adams wrote:
>
>> I'm going to ask a really obvious question, but have you tried
>> turning the microphone input volume down? (System Prefs : Sound : Input)
>

> Yes, I tried that.

Well, looks like you may be out of luck :(  Since the sound hardware is
all built into the logic board, it could end up being very expensive to
replace. Could be cheaper to buy a USB sound adapter, such as the iMic
(http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/index.html) which is
only $US35 at the mo.

> At my friends house it worked. At mine, no. Maybe he had a different
> cable?
>
> A sidenote: I tried booting into 9 to see if the problem manifested
> itself there. It did not.

What kind of machine does your friend have? If it's an iBook and he got
sound _in_, that would be very interesting. He possibly did use a
special cable, such as a speaker-output to line-in converter, which
would reduce the output power to something suitable for a line-in port.
Why don't you ask him what he used?

--Michael.