[P1] new ibooks... any better re warping & screen marks??

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 7 15:00:08 PDT 2003

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 02:49  PM, Tom R. no spam wrote:

> OS9:  Miimum virtual memory setting is 1MB greater than physical
> RAM.

True, however you can set VM to much higher amounts, double or triple
the amount of RAM. I am not sure the exact limits so the previous
sentence should be given some slack.

VM is meant to compensate for low installed RAM. You will find if you
can max out your Ram you can do away with the VM and run faster since
it takes time to read and write VM to disk.

The best improvement in OS 9 is to max out your ram and turn vm off and
then increase the amount of RAM devoted to an application. Let's say
the default is 10 Megs. With that allotment the application will drag
and even freeze at times. Increase your physical RAM and boost that get
info assignment to 30 Megs and watch your application run faster
smoother and happier. A similar boost occurs with OS X when you move up
from 128 Megs of installed RAM to more that 500. OS X does not run well
with minimal ram. [This is based on results I obtained before X shipped
and in the intervening years things may have changed.]

---
Historically the ideas that tend to make everyone mad are the ideas
that become socially accepted in a decade or so.

<http://www.JackRodgers.com>
JackRodgers at earthlink.net