[P1] Strange formatting in message

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Tue Jul 8 19:05:02 PDT 2003

> To send the special or "high ASCII" characters, your email
> program will use the "Quoted/Printable" scheme, which converts the
> special characters (and some others, including the line ending) into a
> code. It's like the "%##" bits you'll see in some URLs, though that is
> different code.
>
> If you get the messages one at a time, there shouldn't be any trouble.
> It's the digest where you'll see the strange formatting. Digest
> software
> strips off the "headers" which tell your email program that there is
> some
> sort of coding, an attachment, etc. Without these "MIME" headers, the
> email program will just display what it gets, without decoding it.

George, Thank you for the thorough answer you provided. I do get the
list in digest form so you also explained how come some messages do
this and others don't Thanks also for the other info on email in
general.

It sounds like Panther mail is going to have a feature similar to the
one you mentioned in PowerMail for allowing HTML to stay inside the
local disk.