new ibooks... question...

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Jul 9 00:19:17 PDT 2003

> From: Pat D. Stephens <patdart at cox-internet.com>
>
> You guys talk about 9 and Classic.

Yes, and it IS confusing. Don't be thinking you're the only one having
a hard time following it. :)

>   Does Classic freeze like 9 did?

Not in my experience, though I suppose if I loaded up my Classic with
as many system extensions as I needed in "old school" OS 9, I imagine
it would be quite possible for Classic to "quit" (it doesn't freeze).

For best results using Classic, pare down the extension set
significantly (most of the function of the extensions has been assumed
by OS X now anyway). There used to be a list floating around on the net
of what you could safely eliminate from Classic to make it load and run
VERY fast. If anybody still has that list ...

Oh, I just remembered another thing. There used to be (may still be) a
shareware extension called "Classic?" that AUTOMATICALLY pared your
Classic system folder down for optimum performance, but when you booted
into OS 9 it didn't activate ... kind of like having two "extension
sets," only without the manual switching.

>   If
> so, do you lose all open work in X?

ABSOLUTELY NOT. If someone's been telling you otherwise, they're idiots.

Classic behaves like any other "app" in OS X; if it should somehow
fail, it "dies" and leaves a little note telling you that the system
and your other apps are UNAFFECTED.

> and, as you can tell, I rarely use Classic on my iBook...

Probably a good thing as time goes on. Bottom line: don't be afraid of
Classic.

_Chas_

If this country had a national motto, it would be "DOH!"