[P1] new ibooks... question...

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 9 08:54:32 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 03:19  AM, Charles Martin wrote:

>>   If
>> so, do you lose all open work in X?
>
> ABSOLUTELY NOT. If someone's been telling you otherwise, they're
> idiots.

If while working in Classic you can induce a system wide freeze via a
kernel panic or other method, you will lose all unsaved changes and
perhaps damage a few files, especially in Filemaker. Before the update
to 10.2.5 I could create a panic by removing my Merlin C201 PC Card. In
fact, doing this at a user group in front of the guru who said X was
rock solid and would never freeze caused him to revise his statement.
Now he says that only hardware problems can cause a system panic and I
am keeping my eyes open for a software kernel panic.

10.2.6 is very very stable and I haven't had a software outage that I
can remember in quite some time. I did induce a kernel panic running
Windows XP after I installed the drivers for Microsoft's Trackball
Explorer which seemed to have messed up the cursor when passing over
certain areas of the screen. Note: I am a pro so don't try this at
home, kids.

---
Obviously the obvious isn't always so obvious. Jack Rodgers

JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com
http://www.LobateLacScale.com