[P1] OT: Software Licensing

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 15:23:53 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 05:48  PM, david wrote:

> Your analogies don't cut it. I'm not asking to consume something twice
> and only pay once. I own two Macs which can run the same software,
> just as I own two 2002 Saturns. If I wanted, I could buy 4 Michelins
> and move them from one Saturn to the other. My Michelin 'license'
> doesn't restrict me to just one car.

But reality restricts you to using only one car at a time with the
tires and eventually you'll wear out the tires and have to buy another
and it would be impossible with today's technology to duplicate the
tires and give away copies...

> Sure, it would be silly to trade the tires from one car to the other,
> but I'm not restricted by Michelin from doing so. Similarly, when I
> went to Sears for a new set of wrenches, the salesman didn't ask me
> which car I intended using them on. I can use them how I choose.

Sounds like a good use for my idea of typing the license to
fingerprints or dna, doesn't it. Again, you can't duplicate the wrench
easily and give it away to 10,000 people around the world, so your
analogy while interesting has a few weaknesses, as do most analogies...

The difference between software and hardware is that we can replicate
and distribute software but we can't do this with hardware until those
Star Trek replicators get invented. Imagine what the world will be like
when folks can just replicate their meals, a new car, a new tank or
stealth bomber, or 500 new Powerbooks or other interesting items.

Open Software is an answer to the commercial licensing fees. Is any of
it very good?

---
Obviously the obvious isn't always so obvious. Jack Rodgers

JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com
http://www.LobateLacScale.com