[P1] OT: Software Licensing

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 10 05:46:12 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 11:34  PM, Deborah Ramos wrote:

> I think you're all missing the obvious analogy - the iTunes Music
> Store. If I buy a song, I can burn it to a CD, listen to it on my
> iPod, and/or put it on a couple of different computers. I don't
> technically "own" the song - the rights to the song still belongs to
> the musician/group - but I've bought the rights to listen to it
> where/when/how I want to.

Not quite. Only on those devices that the music store licenses. You
cannot legally use the songs on other computers or give away copies.
The key word is legally since some programmers are dedicated to
violating those agreements.

---
Obviously the obvious isn't always so obvious. Jack Rodgers

JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com
http://www.LobateLacScale.com