Screen Protectors

George Slusher gslusher at rio.com
Thu Jul 10 13:47:59 PDT 2003

There was some discussion about various ways to protect the iBook screen
from marks from the keyboard, etc. I've found four types of solutions:

1) Sheet of leather, vinyl, neoprene, or cloth that sits on top of the
keyboard.This is the simplest approach. I would be a bit leary of
leather, as it has oils of its own. Some cover just the keyboard.

http://www.smalldog.com/product/43614 (leather, $18.00)

http://www.marware.com/keyboardcovers.html (neoprene, $6.95)

http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=5868-KY12 (Same as above)

http://www.thinkdifferentstore.com/cgi-app/store/agora.cgi?p_id=633&xm=on&p
pinc=search2 (ditto)

Others cover the trackpad and palmrests.

http://www.radtech.us/screensavrz-laptop.html ($12.95 - $15.95)
(microfiber, which is very soft, available in several colors/patterns)

2) Clear sheets that attach directly to the screen, like screen
protectors for PDAs. This may sound like a good idea, but, based upon
experience with PDAs, it's a bit difficult to put these on without
trapping air bubbles. Also, iBook screen isn't designed to be pushed on,
unlike a PDA's screen.

http://macally.com/spec/specialites/accessories/screenprotector.html
($19.99 list)

http://www.smalldog.com/product/43304 (Same thing, $18.00)

3) A fabric sleeve that covers the entire top half of the iBook. This
protects the screen while the iBook is closed OR open. I have one and it
works very nicely. It has the added advantage of acting like #4,
below--the extra thickness of the fabric between the plastic bumpers on
the top edge of the upper (screen) half and the bottom shell make the
iBook feel firmer, with less give or slop.

http://www.coolshield.com/screensleeve.html  ($24.50)

(Also check their CoolShield. It looks a bit weird, but it works
beautifully, especially in an environment where you can't control the
lighting.)

4) A set of silicone cushions that go on the bezel around the screen.
These are thicker than those that come with the iBook and keep the screen
further away from the keyboard. They also make the closed iBook feel
firmer, not as loose. These can be used with a keyboard cover, but I
wouldn't use them with the sleeve in #3.

http://www.radtech.us/wildeepz.html  ($15.95)

5) Keyboard protector. This was designed to protect the keyboard, not the
screen, but, if you remove it every time you close the iBook, it will
keep the keys clean and they won't be as likely to tranfer oils. I don't
know how convenient or easy that is, as I haven't bought this, yet. See:

http://www.iskinprotect.com/iskin_ibook_spc.html ($24.99 - $26.99)

http://www.thinkdifferentstore.com/cgi-app/store/agora.cgi?p_id=582&xm=on&p
pinc=search2

http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=5951-KSCW