[P1] Subject: re: software licensing

William L Carr Jkirk3279 at beanstalk.net
Thu Jul 10 20:38:08 PDT 2003

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 03:20  AM, e.mkeene wrote:

>>>  But we will complain about a $50 piece of
>>> software license and that we can only use it on one computer...

Forgive me if it's been said already, but what about the argument that
I paid for the license, therefore it's one license, one user, not one
license, one computer?

My Mac didn't pay for the Photoshop software, I did.    I use it on my
iBook at home and on my PowerMac at work.   I am the only user of this
license.    I own it.    I don't agree that EULA gibberish gives away
my rights, no matter what lawyers say about it.

If you ever read this 6 point type EULA garbage, it probably says that
you can't install it on two computers even if you own both a laptop and
a Desktop.    So what about portable Hard Drives?   I carried Pagemaker
on a ZIP cartridge to a client's office, and demonstrated how to set up
a newsletter.   I figured I was giving a free audition for Adobe !
And when I was done, I took the ZIP home.   So, what would the EULA say
about this?

Of course, if the Laptop Docking technology had matured, this would be
a moot point.   You'd just install everything on your laptop and carry
it home with you.   And some SciFi books I've read suggest that all
your apps and files could be on a Proteus, a wearable computer that
when you got the work would just interface with your workstation.

I think Adobe's just being greedy.   Which is sad, since they're the
last bastion of defense we have against M$oft.   Decent software, and
it's not from Apple.   What a concept.

Jkirk