[P1] OT: do i have to use wmp or realplayer?

Joe Jones joham at jo-ham.com
Sat Jul 12 02:02:34 PDT 2003

You won't find many (any?) programs that will play windows media and
real media files other than the apps made specifically for them.

The formats are closed and proprietary for a good reason - to force you
to use their respective players (and in the case of Windows media, to
maintain control).

I believe there are some projects out there that enable you to change
the nasty formats into something generic, but yo can't play them
directly.

If you are going to use one of them, I'd have to suggest Real media on
the Mac. The player is actually quite reasonable (no spyware or other
offensive stuff like the PC version), and the most current incarnation
of the codec works on OS X.

Windows Media, on the other hand, works up to version 8 of the codec,
but the new version 9 codec (that a lot of content is being produced in
now) /doesn't/ work on OS X, for no reason other than the fact that
Microsoft doesn't want it to. If you want to view windows media files
that use the version 9 codec, you must use Windows.

Joe