[P1] Mail issues and Comcast High Speed Internet

Gary D. Adams gdadams1 at cox.net
Sun Jul 13 21:11:36 PDT 2003

Wai Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone been experiencing any mail issues if they were moved over
> from AT&T Broadband to Comcast?  With my system, I'm finding that it's
> difficult to download mail.  I have to Get Mail several times before it
> gets them if at all.  Many times I will get incomplete downloads and
> then duplicates when I try again.
>
> I often get this message:
>
>  >>
> There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Check the
> settings for account “SpikeTheFrog at comcast.net” or try again.
>
> The server error encountered was: Reading data from host
> mail.comcast.net failed.
> <<
>
> Comcast hasn't been very helpful.  They asked me to turn off my virus
> software, which I did, but this made no difference.  They won't offer
> much help unless I am using Outlook Express, which I understand is not
> available for OS X.  What they are really looking for are error
> numbers.  Can I get these error numbers from anywhere?
>
> Regards,
> Wai Lee

Mac Fixit had this report:

Thursday, July 10 2003 @ 07:20 AM PDT
Troubleshooting Mail.app: Comcast.net conflict and solution

We previously noted some problems with receiving and sending messages in
Mail.app when using Comcast.net, associated with the address switch-over
from attbi.com.

If you are still having problems, try going to the to the Service Center
section of the Comcast.net Web page, and in your main account, turn off
the e-mail screener application.

This should allow messages to flow properly in and out of Mail.app once
again.