[P1] Further notes on the ibook display problems

Meg St. Clair megsaint at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 19 18:01:35 PDT 2003

On 7/19/03 10:23 AM, "Jack Rodgers" <jackrodgers at earthlink.net> wrote
(edited for length):

> On Friday, July 18, 2003, at 11:45  PM, Meg St. Clair wrote:
>
>> I feel as if this has to be a software problem given that, under
>> certain
>> circumstances, the screen is fine. I do seem to recall reading things
>> about
>> the iBooks a and projectors but can't remember them. Argh.
>
> Sounds like your video drivers, and there are several hundred thousand
> of them in OS X, might have become corrupted. Your friend might have
> avoided saying, Oh yeah, there was a flash of sparks and smoke during
> the demo...just joking of course. More like the connector cord was
> pulled before the units were turned off.

Yes, we think the cables were pulled before the machine was turned off.
Apparently, the projector was also having issues. She's not the most tech
savvy of people. Fortunately, it's no longer my main computer

> So, you can run Diskwarrior, fsck, etc. and see if repairing the
> directory fixes the problems...assuming the screen will let you.

fsck was fine. Tried TechTool Pro. It crashed when trying to test the video
ram. Since then, it's just gotten worse. She's feeling really guilty and
since she isn't working right now, she's going to take it to the Apple
dealer and have them monkey with it.

I was hoping there was some quick fix. I really don't want to reinstall all
of the system, and the updates. That always ends up taking the better part
of an afternoon when all is said and done.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions which I will keep on hand if she has no
luck.

Meg

--
700 MHz iBook (June 02) OS X 10.2.4