[P1] Strange browser behaviour and Airport

Marc van Gemert listz at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 24 10:45:02 PDT 2003

Thanks guys, but it is probably the 128 bit WEP what is causing the
delay. The firmware of the router is already up to date and my ADSL
connection is fine, because I have it for a few years already and didn't
have any problem until now.
Someone mailed me off-list with a very reasonable explanation:

'I don't have that issue on my Airported iBook. However, when I have WEP
turned on on my wireless router, it takes awhile for the Airport card to
give the password and connect when I open the iBook from sleep. Is that
what's going on? I have the password on my Keychain, so I don't have to
type it in each time, and it does take about 30 seconds or so (maybe not
that much) for the Keychain to regurgitate the password to the router.
After that, it zooms right along unless I close the iBook. Then it has
to go through the reconnect each time it wakes from sleep.'

IIRC this 'problem' started after I enabled the 128bit encryption so
that could be the cause of it. However if my memory serves me right
there was no delay when I had 64bit encryption enabled. Haven't tested
it again with 64 bit WEP, but when I set up the router for the first
time I immediately enabled 64 bit WEP and then when I tested Airport on
my iBook there was no delay at all when starting a browser so it's
probably the 128 bit WEP what causes the delay.

*
*