[P1] Word formatting in Mac, PC

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 28 07:18:00 PDT 2003

>> We've solved the "words wandering all over the page" issue by
>> adhering to
>> strict rules of proper formatting (e.g. never using the space bar to
>> align
>> type, etc.) but one thing we've never solved is the amount of stuff
>> on a
>> page.

That is what the delete key was designed for...   :)

The fastest method of maintaining your formatting is to create document
only style sheets and apply those styles to your text rather than
format using the application wide style sheets.

If you open a document on various computers and the application wide (I
forget the name) style sheet has been used rather than saving the
styles in the document, then problems can arise when the styles have
been changed in the application wide style sheets on each computer. One
using helvetica 9 point for the default font and another using Geneve
12 pt.

If the style sheets are saved inside the document, they will over ride
these platform and computer differences in the application wide style
sheet.

Even this is not a concrete answer...

Some printers have different printing areas and this can cause a
problem. If A has an inkjet set as the default printer and B has a
Laserwriter and C has a dot matrix set...there could be problems. This
is a real pain in Filemaker reports unless you do something like set a
default half inch margin for the borders and avoid this problem.

After struggling with Word for many years, I finally gave up on it and
decided only those who enjoy mental anguish would want to use it. Of
course it does tie in with other Microsoft business products so it
cannot be dismissed so easily.

I use InDesign for document production and it has spell checking and
other features and does so much more with graphics and photos than Word
will ever dream of doing. Of course it has its own problems...

---
10,000 trees may soon die in South Florida...

<http://www.lobatelacscale.com>