To Partition or...!

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Jun 1 00:32:39 PDT 2003

> From: RUFFIN BAILEY <rufbo1 at comcast.net>
> I'd like to kindly disagree with this advice (or perhaps just offer one
> very specific reason!).  The first thing I do with any OS 9 and X
> bootable machine is partition the hard drive and install the OS on
> seperate partitions.  I'd even recommend having a third partition for
> important data [that you have a copy of on another partition].  I like
> to use extra hard drives on towers (safer!), which is kinda (har har)
> hard to do on the iBook, but partitions buy you a similar effect.
>

> So when OS X corrupts somehow or becomes unbootable, you'd boot into OS
> 9 on the separate partition, grab the files you need from your X
> partition (moving them to 9 or storage) and wipe the X part clean.
> Quick, easy, safe, and effective.  If your drive up and dies, well,
> you're still toast.  Hope you bought a CD burner and used it! :^)

I suppose this isn't a bad reason to partition, but why can't you do
all this by booting from the CD, thus leaving the entire HD available
to your system and files?

The problem with partitioning, as someone here said, is that you're
always wasting space.

_Chas_

New at http://filmmoi.blogspot.com - at last, my review of "The Two
Towers." Check it out!