[P1] To Partition or...! Virtual Memory

david davidwb at spymac.com
Sun Jun 1 10:10:51 PDT 2003

On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 08:03  AM, Jack Rodgers wrote:

> I would imagine, but don't know for sure, that if you create
> partitions that are quickly filled up, you will run into virtual
> memory problems which may cause slower performance or other problems.
> There are also scratch files that may run into disk space problems.
> Video and graphic programs need lots of scratch space or they run
> slowly, maybe crash. I have yet to  read anyone discuss this
> possibility.

No question about it -> when the drive fills up there is a noticeable
increase in drive activity and resultant slowdown. It isn't a question
of the partition causing the problem but rather simply a full drive.
You'd see the same thing whether you had a full 20 gig drive or a 160
gig drive with a full 20 gig partition.

> Another problem is stability of the disk. I have had partitioned
> drives fail but not after I erased the drive and set it to only one
> partition. I don't know whether that experience is common or an
> anomaly.

Over the years I've had a few drives go south bad enough that I had to
reformat them back to square one. I never noticed that partitioned
drives were more prone to this than unpartitioned and I can only think
of one instance where a partitioned drive failed so badly that I lost
all the partitions. However, I will add that my experience in the PC
world has totally put me off soft partition schemes. (For the
uninitiated, a 'hard' partition cannot be changed without erasing the
drive and starting over. A 'soft' partition can be resized without
reformatting or losing data. For this reason it seems like a good idea.
Seems...I've seen lots of 'soft' partition failures.)

> I don't have 9 installed and run only OS X. So, I avoid the issue of
> separate partitions for the two OSs. The only reason I would consider
> partitioning is to download video but now that Apple has sorted out
> the firewire problems to some degree, I can download to an external
> drive.

I agree here. The only reason I'd consider partitioning a drive for OS
X would be a) the drive is too big to be fully addressed because I had
an old style drive controller, or b) I did massive download/deletes.
Even then, I'd probably just use a disk image in most cases.

> I backup my internal to an external LaCie Pocket drive. If I need to,
> I can boot from that and then backup to the internal.

Ditto. At home and at work I have a disk image ready to restore my
iBook and a data CD that is never more than a week old. At lunchtime my
iBook automatically syncs my document folder to the network. When I go
on the road I copy the disk image and data folder to my iPod. That
still leaves me about 3 gig for music.

Good qualities are easier to destroy than bad ones, and therefore
uniformity is most easily achieved by lowering all standards.
  ~~ Bertrand Russell

David