virus

don hinkle donhinkle at att.net
Tue Jun 3 23:00:37 PDT 2003

I got an email from an acquaintance with a notice from my isp (ATT) that
it had been loaded with the klez virus. I sent the owner an email
telling him. He responded thusly:

Thanks, I'll run a check, but I think this is probably a virus on someone
else's computer hijacking my email as its "From:" address. I don't use
Outlook or Windows, which are the tunnels for almost all common viruses,
worms, and Trojan horses these days. Nobody bothers to write viruses for my
software. (Should I feel slighted?)

I hadn't heard about a computer user being able to hijack someone else's
email address...how is this done?
Or...wha?
-don