[P1] To partition or not

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 4 20:18:18 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 09:41  PM, Charles Broderick wrote:

> Back in the day of 16 bit addressing, the most addresses you could
> address
> was 65535 (2 to the 16th power, minus one 'cuz computers start
> counting from
> 0). So no matter how big the hard drive was, you could only have 65535
> files
> on it. When your hard drive was formatted, the Mac would simply take
> the
> size of the hard drive and divide it by 65535, and that was the size
> of each
> sector.

Interesting. I don't recall it being explained so nicely.

In OS X I have more than 65535 preference files...   :)

Actually Disk Utility shows my file count as 150,385 and 34,050
folders....

---
Using a Merlin C201 Sprint Wireless Modem Card in a Titanium Powerbook
G4 and getting 123.1 kilobits per second downloads...almost 4X faster
than dialup. The salesman said it wouldn't work in a Mac...

JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com
http://www.LobateLacScale.com