[P1] Newbie

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 5 11:03:06 PDT 2003

On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 01:35  PM, Mike Beede wrote:

>> I would avoid the 500 MHz model for two reasons: the 66 MHz bus speed
>> and
>> the Rage128 GPU.
>
> This advice strikes me as similar to suggesting someone buying
> a car check out what kind of mass flow sensor and spark plugs
> the manufacturer uses.  It's interesting and measurable, but
> its effect on the buyer is extremely indirect.

[snip

> If you want to do rendering, make DVDs, do a lot of
> Photoshopping, and similar CPU-intensive stuff, then look
> for a faster machine (in fact, look for a G4 or even a
> dual G4 desktop--there are some refurbs available).

Which then brings us to the slower bus speed and GPU as something to
avoid...

The 500 mhz iBooks and earlier, were to me, not useable for video since
so many frames were dropped while watching it. Of course many people
would not notice it but for some of us...

---
Using a Merlin C201 Sprint Wireless Modem Card in a Titanium Powerbook
G4 and getting 123.1 kilobits per second downloads...almost 4X faster
than dialup. The salesman said it wouldn't work in a Mac...

JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com
http://www.LobateLacScale.com