[P1] Booting a Computer

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Sun Jun 8 15:50:27 PDT 2003

On 2003-06-07 01:46, Jack Rodgers wrote:

>> It didn't come over "from the dark side." It was the only side back
>> then--there were no personal computers.
>
> Your story is informative but I like 'from the darkside'... :)

Actually, it originates from the Baron von Munchausen. The Baron was told to
once have lifted himself from the quicksand by means of pulling himself up
by his bootstraps. The name bootstrapping was then used to indicate the
procedure by which a computer turns itself from a useless hunk of circuit
boards and wires into a useful computational device.

So, rather than "antagonistic" and "warlike", I'd say the term is humorous,
inspired, witty, and shows the literacy of the person that once canned it.

All IMHO, of course.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Good qualities are easier to destroy than bad ones, and therefore
uniformity is most easily achieved by lowering all standards.