OSX Security Update 2003-06-09 Warning

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Fri Jun 13 12:28:33 PDT 2003

Warning!
In spite of the issues that others have reported on MacFixit about the
OSX Security Update 2003-06-09, I installed it on my desktop G4 and
experienced no problems. Thus emboldened, I installed it on my iBook
(firewire 700MHz) and immediately had problems. Upon reboot, it booted
and ran for a couple of minutes and then crashed with the gray screen
in about six languages telling you that you've got serious problems. I
have OSX installed on an external hard drive and booted from there
instead of the internal drive. It still crashed (it just took
longer--about five minutes). Finally, I reinstalled OSX and it got rid
of the problem. This "update" is more like a virus. And, I have spent
most of the day messing with it. Remember, your mileage may vary.

Charles Pearce (charlesp at ksu.edu)