OSX Security Update 2003-06-09 Warning

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Jun 14 01:03:29 PDT 2003

> From: Jeremy Weiss <ladmo_x at mindspring.com>
>
> p.s. is there any apps that none of you can live without? just got me
> ibook a few weeks ago and am new to os X and was wonderin what im
> missing. thanks again for the info!

First, it should be noted that Apple has re-released the security
update now, so the possibility of problems should now be moot.
Re-download it and update if you're nervous or actually having problems
(I never did, but I'm charmed when it comes to this sort of thing).

As for "apps I can't live without," at the top of my list would be
Cocktail, a FREE system utility that goes beyond Disk Utility but stops
short of replacing DiskWarrior. Essential, PARTICULARLY after system
updates (just today Apple published a KB note admitting their software
updates don't check for directory damage prior to installing).

I find the iTunes Music Store essential, but that comes with your
machine (or is downloaded from Apple for free).

I use Cocoa eFax for my (very modest) fax sending/receiving needs. Best
$10 I've spent on shareware in a long time. Some folks say PageSender
is better, but it's $30 and so far I've seen no reason to change from
Cocoa eFax.

This may sound funny, but I consider a couple (just a handful) of
simple (not big honkin' 3D type) games to be "essential." They keep me
amused on train trips, they help pass the time when I'm on hold, they
occupy me on those rare occasions when I'm waiting on the computer to
finish something like a big download or cloning operation ... I like
BOOM, MacMAME, JewelToy, MacPipes X, Otto Matic (okay that's a 3D one
but I love it!), SNES 9x, and the evil Snood.

I can think of a lot more but I'll stop there for now.

_Chas_

"With the introduction of the new iTunes Music Store, we've now built
the  first real complete ecosystem for the digital music age. We've got
a way to buy music online legally that's fantastic -- it's better than
any other way to acquire music. We've got a way manage music with the
iTunes  Jukebox, which is the best in the world. And we've got a way to
listen to music on the go with the iPod, which is the most popular MP3
player in the world and one of the coolest things in the world. So
we've really got, from one end to another, a complete solution for
digital music. We're the only people in the world to do this, so we
feel great about it." -- Steve Jobs, Time Magazine, 30-April-03