[P1] Great apps that one should not be without

andy letterspackages at telus.net
Sat Jun 14 07:56:03 PDT 2003

> Of course if you take your iBook into Starbucks in the US, chances are
> they have a wifi setup and for $40 a month you can surf the net while
> slurping caffeine at a speed upto 50 times faster than dialup. Or you
> may find free bandwidth somewhere.

    I'm still waiting for Starbucks to decide to do this in Canada, as
it would make my lunch hours a lot more interesting-- my school has
several networks in place, but one can "only access them on School
Computers" [Dells!] for "security reasons." (No thanks!)

    A few days ago I found myself locked out of the store, downtown, and
spent a few hours sitting in a Starbucks downstairs-- curious, I pulled
out the iBook and found a network from another cafe three floors up (at
an unreasonable pay-per-use rate) and that someone else had set up an
AirPort Extreme base station elsewhere in the building-- SSID: freeb.

    It pays to look around.

    Thus, my most frequently used apps are:

    MacStumbler-- a small application that I usually have running in the
background. I've set it to chirp
when it finds an open network, it keeps a log as well that I believe
can be tied into GPS. I think the
legalities of wardriving are still being called into question, so use
of something such as this may
require an examination of one's ethics. Free public WiFi connections in
my part of the country are
still rare-- be aware of who's bandwidth you may be lifting. Check out
the site http://www.nocat.net/
for much more in-depth info on these matters than I'm able to provide.

    Synergy-- "Synergy is an iTunes utility designed for expanding the
graphical display of the standard iTunes feature set." Basically, it
fades in the current track title and album cover from iTunes when the
song changes. Downloads album covers automatically, controls iTunes
from the menu bar, and much, much more that I couldn't even begin to
list. Best $7 I'd ever spent.

    SlashDock-- aggregates RSS newsfeeds and resides politely in the
dock.

andy
    calgary, alberta, canada