[P1] OS X on an original Tangerine iBook

Eugene invaderujin at san.rr.com
Sun Jun 15 20:21:54 PDT 2003

>I am looking to upgrade my other ibook, an original tangerine
>version, up to OS X.  I have the original hard drive .  I understand
>that this will work, but with modest performance and limited screen
>size.  If I were to do this, how much hard disk space would I use
>just to get OS X installed?  Or, what can I cut out of a typical
>installation in order to maximize disk space?  Excel, Word, Mail,
>and Safari are the main applications that I use.

I just did this yesterday on an original 300 mhz blueberry iBook with
the stock 3 GB HD.

Yes - it's possible.  I installed OS X 10.2 and I cut out some of the
extras, like extra Print Drivers, Language Packs, BSD Developer
stuff, etc.  Got the entire thing installed over the old OS 9 and
most of the old apps for around 2 GB.

After it installed, I ran Software Update and it wanted to install
all sorts of updates - including OS 10.2.6, Security patches, iTunes,
Quicktime, iPhoto, etc.  However, I didn't have enough HD space to
run all of those updates at once.  Instead, I had to run the 10.2.6
update only.  Restart.  Then run the other updates.

The system is running fine now.  Not as sluggish as I was afraid it
would be - but it's mainly being used for email and web surfing.

Hope this helps!

-Eugene