[P1] Security Problem

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Wed Jun 18 18:57:25 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003, at 14:05 US/Central, Jack Rodgers wrote:

> This is a question and not a proven fact...
>
> I discovered that there was an active PocketPC file sharing option in
> the X sharing dialog. 4 Ports were listed.
>
> I think this was established by the software that syncs PocketPC to
> make but I am not sure.
>
> Anyway, is it possible that this could create an access for a hacker
> who knew that these ports were being opened by this software? Or did I
> do it myself and not remember?
>
> Anyway, it is worth a bit of discussion with anyone who might have
> tried that software or who finds this open port in the Firewall on his
> book.

Well, a hole in your firewall is only half the problem--is there
something
listening at the hole?  You can use "netstat" to determine what ports
are
being listened to.  Try just plain "netstat" and look for TCP sockets
in state
"LISTEN."

If there's no process listening, then it is unlikely the hole would
allow someone
to successfully attack your machine.

	Mike