[P1] Connecting iBook to Wintel machine / ethernet

Michael Adams bulk at michaeladams.org
Sun Jun 29 20:20:43 PDT 2003

Hmmm,

There are about a million ways to do this. The easiest (?) is to share a
drive on your PC and mount it on your iBook. To do this, go in to the
Finder, click on Go, then click on "Connect to Server" and type in
"smb://10.0.1.3" where the 10.0.1.3 is the IP address of your PC.

If you don't know what the IP is of your PC, well then things get
interesting. What you can do is on your PC, click on Start, Run (I think
XP has this option?), then type in winipcfg and choose your network card
from the drop down menu. Look for the address, remember this, type it
into the "Connect to Server" window and _hopefully_ you'll be away laughing.

Any one know an easier method to all this? I've just discovered the
Samba Sharing Package (http://xamba.sourceforge.net/ssp/) which works a
treat on my network, but can be a bit of a hassle to set up. It lets
PC's connect to any OS X machine without having to do anything special
on the PC side.

Well, hope this helps,
--Michael.