[P1] Introduction

david davidwb at spymac.com
Mon Jun 30 07:29:26 PDT 2003

On Sunday, June 29, 2003, at 11:32  PM, James Hall wrote:

> Hey Fran =)
>
> I'm hoping that I won't forget too much too soon, since I currently
> work
> notebook support for med students at a local university.  Nearly 100%
> Dell
> notebooks... in fact, the latest shipment should be arriving next
> month for
> the next entering class.
>
> I can't wait to take my iBook to work, hehe :)

Oh how I hate Dell notebooks! Last year we took delivery of two new
Dell portable labs and one iBook lab. The year before we'd gotten two
iBook labs. Out of 60 iBooks every one worked out of the box and every
returned iBook but two was due to being damaged, not simple death. We
had close to 20% dead out of the box with the Dells (we bought 54
machines) and in the first 6 months nearly 50% were returned for repair
- some 2-3 times. By the end of the first year of the Dells, every one
of them was referred to tech support and repaired by tech support or
returned to Dell. We'll be buying no more Dells. The iBooks just keep
chugging along. Despite this, the board of education continues to
insist that we are saving money buy transitioning to PCs.

Good qualities are easier to destroy than bad ones, and therefore
uniformity is most easily achieved by lowering all standards.
  ~~ Bertrand Russell

David