Battery Observations

Charles Broderick chasbrod at inreach.com
Sat Mar 1 11:33:11 PST 2003

Hi,

I was about to share a battery observation, when another 'Lister asked
for help. If anyone knows of good websites on battery technology, let
me know as well.

My observation was that after owning my iBook 800 for about six weeks,
and regularly getting about four hours of battery life or more, one day
I got less than three hours. Quite a difference. (I know because I
obsessively record my time on battery!) I reset the power manager
(Shift-Ctrl-option and Power) and now my four hour battery life has
returned.

My 2 cents on Li-ion batteries. I know there is not supposed to be a
memory effect, but I still run my batteries all the way down and then
charge them all the way up. I bought a year old Lombard in early 2001,
and the battery was completely shot--only got 10 minutes from it! I
figure the life cycle of a Li-ion battery is supposed to be about 500
charges (if I remember correctly), so the only thing I could think of
was the previous owner had charged and recharged it without ever fully
draining it.

Oh yeah--I think the instructions on new batteries tell you to fully
discharge it, and then fully recharge it at least the first time you
get it.

FWIW IHTH,
Charles