New to Jaguar questions (Long)

Mark D. Chapman mchapman at chass.utoronto.ca
Mon Mar 3 13:47:42 PST 2003

I just bought Jaguar and have a few questions:

1. Printing. I can no longer print to my LaserWriter (the original 45
pound beast). I found an open source print driver at
Linux_printing.org but it always prints with a grey background. Are
there any other options?

I can print to my LaserWriter 300 under classic but can't seem to
find a driver for OS X.

Surprisingly, I can print to my ImageWriter II without any problems.

In all three cases I am using my 7500 as a print server.

2. Scanning. I used to be able to use the fancy scanning program that
came with my EPSON Perfection 1660 Photo under classic. Now it can't
find the scanner (exact message is "Cannot find the Scanner on the
Bus). Where did it go? I can still scan in X but that requires me to
scan photos one at a time and my OCR program is a classic program.

3. Speed. Jaguar is supposed to be faster. However, it doesn't feel
any faster. Furthermore, I now have more instances where one program
seems to slow down the whole computer. I have tried FSCK and Repair
Permissions. Maybe I am expecting too much but the finder still feels
slower than my 7500 running 8.1 (Word is a lot faster on the iBook).
Is something wrong?

4. Icons. I like to change some of the folder icons to better reflect
what is in them. However, some of them resist changing (e.g., the
Utilities folder). Is this normal?

5. Menubar widgets. I used to have a little utility that would put a
9 in the menu bar if classic was running. It does not work anymore.
Is there any way around this?

6. System Issues. I don't remember the finder crashing with 10.1. But
it happens every couple of days with 10.2. When I boot into single
user mode I get the error "Extension
com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModel Cannot be found" and a
different prompt than before "sh-2.05a#" Does anybody know what is
happening?

My computer: iBook, Dual USB, 500 Mhz, 320 MB RAM, 10 GB HD (1.6 GB
free), Classic 9.2.2, OS X 10.2 (I have not upgraded to 10.2.4
because my dial-up connection is not stable enough to download
anything of that length).

Thanks, Mark
--
  Mark Chapman - Centre for the Study of Religion - University of Toronto