[P1] New to Jaguar questions (Long)

Mark D. Chapman mchapman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 4 11:02:17 PST 2003

>  > 1. Printing. I can no longer print to my LaserWriter (the original 45
>>  pound beast). I found an open source print driver at
>>  Linux_printing.org but it always prints with a grey background. Are
>>  there any other options?
>>
>Try Gimp-Print. You can find it via Versiontracker.com. How is your
>laserwriter connected to your iBook? Perhaps all you need is the
>built-in CUPS printing.

Gimp-print does not have drivers for my LaserWriters. I did find a
CUPS driver for the LaserWriter Plus but it prints a grey background
behind everything. I have been unable to find any kind of OS X driver
for the LaserWriter 300.

>  > 2. Scanning. I used to be able to use the fancy scanning program that
>>  came with my EPSON Perfection 1660 Photo under classic. Now it can't
>>  find the scanner (exact message is "Cannot find the Scanner on the
>>  Bus). Where did it go?
>
>You probably need to reinstall the driver. You may also need to update
>your Classic to 9.2.2.

I will try that. Classic is running on 9.2.2.

>Was your OCR program working before in Classic?

Yes it was however, it is tied to the scanning program (that is, I
can't seem to get it to work on pre-scanned files).

>get the updated program. Otherwise, it may not work anymore. Apple
>changed the menubar API to make it more difficult for non-Apple menu
>apps to get up there. I guess they feared "menu overload." However, I
>run several such apps (Weatherpop for example) which work fine.

I'll look for one.

>  > 6. System Issues. I don't remember the finder crashing with 10.1. But
>>  it happens every couple of days with 10.2. When I boot into single
>>  user mode I get the error "Extension
>>  com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModel Cannot be found" and a
>>  different prompt than before "sh-2.05a#" Does anybody know what is
>>  happening?
>>
>This is VERY ABNORMAL. Since you mention that you've repaired
>permissions and run fsck, the only thing I can suggest is that your
>installation is damaged. I would suggest that you try a clean install
>(will not overwrite your old system). Did you by chance copy your 10.1

Yikes! When I get some time I will try a clean install. Is that now
called Archive and install? That is what I wanted to do when I
installed Jag but it did not give me that option.

>system from another machine, one that had a SCSI port or a SCSI card in
>it?

Nope. I bought the book new with 10 on it

Much thanks for other bits of valuable information,

Mark
--
  Mark Chapman - Centre for the Study of Religion - University of Toronto