[P1] Startup ?

david davidwb at spymac.com
Wed Mar 5 04:05:48 PST 2003

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 08:47  PM, Thomas Bridgeland wrote:

> I recently installed OS X.2 the ran the download to X.2.4 on my 600
> iceBook.
>
> Now on startup I get a flashing icon of the world in an inch square
> box. After that goes on for a few minutes, it switches to an icon of a
> folder flashing alternately a question mark and and the old smily face
> mac. Finally it manages to boot into OS X. But it is a long, slow
> process. Any suggestions as to why this might be happening? I don't
> have OS 9 installed, but have two partitions, one for X and one with
> files in it (I had planned to install 9 there but don't have the right
> install CD)

Sounds like the system starts up expecting to find a system that it
can’t find and eventually defaults to the one it does find. Go to the
System Preferences menu and select Startup Disk. Select your OS X
startup disk and lock the preference. That *should* do it.

Good qualities are easier to destroy than bad ones, and therefore
uniformity is most easily achieved by lowering all standards.
  ~~ Bertrand Russell

David