[P1] [OT] iBook article in the NYT

Brian Fish ifish at macosx.com
Wed Mar 5 09:39:00 PST 2003

>>On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 07:00  AM, Jack Rodgers wrote:
>>
>>> While recognizing the worth of the computer, I wonder if computerizing
>>> the schools makes the kids learn more? Have there been any independent
>>> tests to compare the knowledge acquired by today's kids versus kids
>>> from 40 or 50 years ago?

In my opinion, as the Technology Coordinator of a private school,  the
question is not so much learning more or learning less, but offering another
avenue for learning and also to prepare them for the outside world.  Chances
are, most students of today are going to be expected to use computers in
their future jobs and careers.  IMHO, if computers are a part of making the
world go round, then we need to teach our children computers in school so
they can pick up where we leave off.

-Brian