[P1] iBook article in the NYT

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Thu Mar 6 07:31:41 PST 2003

On Thursday, Mar 6, 2003, at 05:51 US/Central, david wrote:

> Pictures, graphs, diagrams...is it a question of dumbing down or is it
> a question of trying to appeal to different learning styles?

My hypothesis
is that no textbook was ever rejected for being too
flashy, but texts *are* rejected for including facts
that the school officials or some dim-bulb pressure group
feels are "inappropriate for young minds."  Hence,
the tendency to flashier and dumber.  As for "different
learning styles," I'm not sure you're doing someone a
favor to let them slide through school without learning
to deal with the primary source of knowlege in the world.
Seems like the fast track to "you want frys with that?"

Regards,

	Mike