[P1] Cell questions

andy van der raadt letterspackages at telus.net
Thu Mar 6 18:55:07 PST 2003

>My questions: 1) How tricky is it to get the iBook working via cell phone
>(for someone who has had Macs from the beginning but is still relatively
>clueless), and 2) what cell phone would be the simplest to use with the iBook?

Bruce,
    I would suppose the first, and most important question
we would have to ask is: Where are you living/working?
It sounds like you're operating from rather remote locations--
which could leave some of the newer 3G digital services and
such as a non-option.

    The speed provided by GPRS (up to 230k/sec) is attractive,
but the networks are still not widely available, as I understand.

    GSM and CDMA phones are the most common, but the
speed of it's network is much slower-- comparable to a 14.4
modem, which could make general internet use painful (and
expensive, if you're paying for airtime) but would make email
tolerable. Connect, download, compose offline and reconnect.

    Bluetooth is an elegant solution, but again this elegance
comes with a price. Here in Canada, Bluetooth enabled phones
are a rarity (as a generalization) and when they are available
they can be several hundred dollars more than the status quo.

    Motorola offers several connection kits for their phones:
http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/data_bluetooth.html
and a USB connection cable would be the simplest and most
cost effective option. Motorola clearly states that Mac
compatibility is unavailable (a quick google search reveals it's
a matter of licensing from Apple) however, the same search
also revealed there is a rather easy workaround available:
http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/mobile_office/
You're running 10.2 so everything should be fine!

    The defining factor would be the networks available where
it is you're doing your work from. The connecting cable will
run you 80-100$ max (I generalize) and depending on the
type of account you sign up for, the phone may be free!

    Of course, regard all this as my unqualified opinion. I came up
with all this through an ounce of Google searching, and a half-a-pound
of personal experience. If you have Big Questions,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/maccellphone/
would be the best place to turn.

    Best of luck, and keep us informed--  I'll be looking for the same
services at as low a cost as possible-- 100$/month for data connectivity
from Telusmobility.ca here in Western Canada is rather outrageous
for a student, no?

    Regards,
       Andy