[P1] iBook article in the NYT

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 7 07:50:57 PST 2003

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 07:07  AM, david wrote:

> We aren’t talking about sliding through. We are talking about
> utilizing every method possible to help someone learn. If I give the
> average *literate* student a chapter to read, he will retain about 45%
> of the information. If I add diagrams and pictures (where appropriate)
> perhaps a film clip and other appropriate learning experiences I can
> boost retention to over 90%. Now, am I dumbing it down here? I think
> not.

The Discovery Channel is an excellent example of how visuals can
communicate more than the printed word. It is also a good example of
how sound tracks can be a little overdone at times.

My present obsession began with an article in the Sun-Sentinel about
the Lobate Lac Scale and I began photographing and videotaping it about
four months ago. I now have almost 200 gigs of video and a few thousand
photos.

If someone reads that article they might be concerned a bit. If I
verbally tell them about what devastation the insect is causing, they
may yawn. But if I show them my video and photos, they have a very
intense reaction to it. One woman even cries because she recognizes it
as what is attacking her plants and trees.

If an answer isn't found soon, Florida will wake up to a lot of dead
trees.

---

Break the Rules! Use a Sprint PC Connection Card with a tiBook:
<http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=10220>

jackrodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.jackrodgers.com