[P1] 12" PowerBook = G4 iBook?

J Williams will7403 at mac.com
Mon Mar 10 18:23:13 PST 2003

On 3/10/03 7:50 AM, "Eugen Leitl" <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Joe Sporleder wrote:
>
>> For those that have been wishing for an iBook with a G4 processor, how
>> close do you see the 12" PowerBook filling that need? It is similar to
>> the 12" iBook in design, but has some niceties that it shares with its
>> bigger PowerBook siblings, like extended desktop for external displays.
>
> Um, iBook does extended displays. See the pointer to the Open Firmware
> patch I posted earlier. It's probably a typo on my part that it stops
> working after reboot.
>
> The 12" PowerBook is too expensive and too hot, imo. There's been a review
> on it on /. in the last month, or so.

> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.  <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

>               |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>
>  RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20 Traveler

Yes, it is similar to the iBook, but at what cost.  I have just purchase a
12" iBook.  So far, the machine has performed like a champ!  Yes the
external display feature would be nice.  However, my wallet is much happier
with the $500 I save by going with an iBook.  At purchase time, that is the
real decision that has to be made.  Are the add features the 12" PB provides
over the iBook worth the cost.