ibook G4 Powerbook?

Charles Broderick chasbrod at inreach.com
Wed Mar 12 04:48:51 PST 2003

I got the iBook for a number of reasons.

The 800mhz ibook comes out quite well in tests against the 12"
powerbook.

Unless you run a lot of Altivec enabled code (the software accelerated
for the G4 "Velocity Engine", an 800mhz G3 runs the unoptimized code as
fast as an 800mhz G4.

The ibook is my first machine with OSX, so I am slowly but surely
upgrading all my software  and hardware (not an insignificant amount of
money...).

If they make a G4 powerbook with a PC card slot (or USB 2), and/or
Firewire 800, then I will jump and get the 12" powerbook. Until then, I
don't see much difference, and the extra $500 is money in my wallet to
upgrade other components.