[P1] Archive and Install

leigh lbdesigns at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 12 18:58:32 PST 2003

"sh-2.05a#" means that you are using the sh shell as root. That is not
necessarily abnormal. What was the prompt you got before?

The IOSCSIArchitectureModel has nothing to do with whether the install
was done on a machine with SCSI  port/card in it. (The message that it
can't be found is unusual, however). That kernel extension is important
to iBook. It is needed and should load for the optical drive in that
machine.

Is there media in the optical drive when the Finder crashes occur?

Is IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ ?
Get Info on it in the Finder, and check its ownership. Is it set to
Owner: system - read & write; Group: wheel - read only; Others - read
only?

If IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext is present, and its permissions
are correct, you may have some serious directory issues that fsck can't
address.

Have you tried using DiskWarrior?
Have you reset the PMU?

(Sorry if you've mentioned having done this -- I haven't had much time
for personal email lately, so I haven't read all the messages about
this.)