[P1] Bandwidth

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 14 07:08:38 PST 2003

The really fast connections T-3 or so can deliver data extremely fast
and handle many, many simultaneous connections. A dial-up phone cannot
handle as many simultaneous connections because it delivers data so
much slower.

The actual bandwidth, connection speed, is determined by how many
simultaneous connections you expect and the data download is determined
by how much data the surfers download.

My dial-up delivers about 4 KB/Sec when downloading a file. My Merlin
card delivers about 13 KB/sec and my Airport delivers about 150KB/sec
when hooked to a DSL line. These figures are all subject to various
conditions and the quality of the site serving the files.

One interesting observation was to watch the download speeds when I
download more than one file. Each downloaded file shares an equal
portion of the connection speed. So if my download speed is 4KB/Sec for
one file, it is 2KB/Sec each for two files and 1KB each for four files.
This happens because my connection speed is so much slower than the
server's output.

A server would only experience slow downs when the total data requested
by the surfers exceed the amount the server can send in a given time
period. I believe inexpensive desktops can saturate a T3 but I am only
repeating what I have read on a list a while back.

It might prove cheaper to use your own server connected to a higher
speed line than to use a service provided by someone else if you expect
a reasonably high volume. I am assuming that a connection would come
with no time limits or extra charge for data transfer, something that
most commercial servers enforce.

---

Simple Solutions for Simple Minds.  Jack Rodgers for President.

jackrodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.jackrodgers.com