[P1] Archive and Install

Mark D. Chapman mchapman at chass.utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 14 10:12:47 PST 2003

>"sh-2.05a#" means that you are using the sh shell as root. That is not
>necessarily abnormal. What was the prompt you got before?

I get this prompt when I login in single user mode. I used to get a
different prompt but I can't remember what it was. I have not enabled
root access in the GUI.

>The IOSCSIArchitectureModel has nothing to do with whether the install
>was done on a machine with SCSI  port/card in it. (The message that it
>can't be found is unusual, however). That kernel extension is important
>to iBook. It is needed and should load for the optical drive in that
>machine.
>
>Is there media in the optical drive when the Finder crashes occur?

No. I have not had a finder crash since Sun. when I upgraded to 10.2.4

>Is IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ ?
>Get Info on it in the Finder, and check its ownership. Is it set to
>Owner: system - read & write; Group: wheel - read only; Others - read
>only?
>If IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext is present, and its permissions
>are correct, you may have some serious directory issues that fsck can't
>address.

It is present and its permissions are correct.

>Have you tried using DiskWarrior?

I don't have DiskWarrior but I rebuilt the directory using TTP 3.08.
The directory was very fragmented. I did notice that the directory is
located in 6 different places on the disk. Is this a problem?

Thanks for the help, Mark

>Have you reset the PMU?

Yes I did. How do I know if anything was actually reset? Nothing
appeared to change (except I had to reset my date).

--
  Mark Chapman - Centre for the Study of Religion - University of Toronto