[P1] anyone know any good call by call dialup ISPs in California?

Richard J Laue rjlaue.lists at verizon.net
Sat Mar 15 12:35:14 PST 2003

>[snip]
>the last hotel I stayed at had high speed access. I plugged into it and
>my iBook (366 SE, pre-Firewire) didn't recognize it. Apparently, they had
>a software CD that was for Windows. (The CD was missing, so I'm not sure,
>but if one had to install software to use it, I'd not be inclined to do
>so). I just plugged into the phone line and used dialup.
[snip]

I've stayed at several hotels where they claimed their system was
Windows only, or where they had a software CD "for Windows only."  I
have NEVER failed to log on to their network anyway.  And it's always
just been a minute or two to connect.

In fact, in one hotel, their network support guy just happened, by
coincidence, to be standing nearby when I inquired at the front desk
about logging onto the network with my iBook (OS 10.1.5 at that
time).  He came over and flat-out told me there was no way to get a
Mac live on the network.  Couldn't be done.  Not possible, and that
was what I got for buying a Mac instead of a "real" computer, and
didn't I know that Mac was going out of business at any moment, blah
blah blah....

Once I got to my room, I decided to give it a try anyway [hey, if I
were a "sheep" I would have bought a PC, right?].

I was live and surfing within less than two minutes -- no CD install,
no complicated settings incantations and swearing -- just switched
the Network setting to Built-in Ethernet, as someone else mentioned
here, and shazam!

Later, I ran into the hotel's network guy, and told him I was happily
connected.  He absolutely refused to believe me, and we went up to my
room for him to see for himself.  When I showed him how easy it was
to set up, he was stunned.  He had never used a Mac, and had to admit
that he was wrong.

So don't take the hotel's word for it!  Try it out for your own sweet
self -- you just might be pleasantly surprised!  (And please don't
forget to tell the hotel people they were WRONG!)

Cheers -
RJLaue